Pumpkin soup – Is very delicious and refreshing especially on a cold day. It can be made completely from scratch.
The pumpkin must be very ripe for the best pumpkin soup. Its skin has a deep solid color (orange in most varieties). So when buying make sure of this: When you thumb the pumpkin, the rind will feel hard and it will sound hollow. Press your nail into the pumpkin’s skin, if it resists puncture but dents, it is ripe.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Butter – 3 tbsp
Pumpkin – 800 g, cut into small cubes without skin, deseeded
Garlic – 2 cloves
Ginger – 1/2 tbsp
Onion – 1 medium, chopped
Salt – 3/4 tsp
Turmeric – 1/4 tsp
Coconut powder – 3 tbsp, mixed with 1 half cup of hot water/ required
Chicken stock cube – 1, mixed in 1 cup hot water (optional)
Lime – 2 tbsp
Olive oil – 1 tbsp
1. Take a skillet.On medium heat add butter, wait till it melts.
2. Once its melted, add onions, ginger & fry till translucent or soft (takes 2-3 mins). Careful not to brown them.
3. Add pumpkin.
Let it cook on medium for 10 – 15 minutes till soft and slightly mushy with constant stirring (covering and constantly stirring makes it faster, but make sure you have eyes on it the whole time).
4. Add garlic, turmeric & salt.
5. Then, add chicken stock, coconut powder-water mix.(its not in the picture but you will have to add hot water)
Stir well for 2 mins or until boil & turn off the heat. Allow it to cool. Its best to cool completely before adding it to a blender.
6. Blend the above mixture in batches (I made batches of 3 and added 2 cups of water with coconut-powder into the pumpkin mix when blending) & pour it into a pot.
7. Heat the pot for a minute or two.
Add lime and olive oil into the puree of pumpkin. Mix well and serve hot.