These Hot Chili Peppers which are commonly known as ‘Banana Peppers’ is named because it resembles the shape of a banana. It is 6-inch-long pepper, mild hot because of its seeds.
These banana pepper fritters are easy to make in less than 30 minutes. My husband wanted it spicy so I haven’t removed the seeds in my recipe. If you cannot take the spice, I recommend slicing the pepper vertically through the center and removing the seeds before coating with the chickpea flour.
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Vegetable oil for deep frying
Banana peppers – 7 (spicy)
Chickpea / Gram flour (Besan) – 1 1/2 cup
Kashmiri Red chili powder – 1 tbsp
Salt – 3/4 tsp
Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
Water – 3/4 cup
1. Prepare a paste by adding all the ingredients: flour, chili powder, salt, turmeric. Add 3/4 cup water and mix to form a thick paste. Add more water if necessary, the batter must be thick.
2. Coat the peppers with the above chickpea mixture. Place it separately on a plate.
3. Heat a deep-wide-bottomed container with 2 inch vegetable oil set at medium for deep frying.
Once its hot enough. Carefully place the peppers in hot oil. I fried 2 at a time in batches.
4. Fry on each side for 2 mins until they turn brown. Transfer and drain into paper towels.
5. Serve with coriander chutney, ketchup or can just be enjoyed plain with an evening cup of tea.
*If you want to have a dip of coriander chutney, refer my previous post of goli baje recipe for instructions.
Hope you have a lovely Monday! Stay healthy!