I’m so glad to be posting again. My first post of the year with fresh white prawns, all time favorite!
I prepare prawns with coconut milk quiet often, so I don’t have to spend a lot of time in the kitchen. It’s goes well with rice , bread or rice pancakes which I have posted earlier. If you can find fresh prawns at your local stores it’s a must try recipe with coconut milk. From my previous experience frozen prawns do not give a flavored taste as much as the fresh prawns do. I made use of a spice powder called Chicken sukka powder, believe me, this recipe tastes delicious with this ingredient. Even if you don’t have it you can substitute it with fish curry powder or any prawn spice powder. It’s available at the Asian stores if you have trouble finding.
Happy New Year! 🙂 🙂
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
Makes: 6 servings
Ghee or vegetable oil – 2 tbsp
White fresh prawns – 325 g, deshell deveined
Onions – 1 medium, chopped
Ginger-Garlic paste – 1 tsp
Potatoes – 4 small/2 medium, peeled & chopped
Green chili – 1
Tomatoes – 1 large, chopped
Chicken Sukka powder – 1 1/2 tbsp (trust me!)
Fish curry powder – 1 tsp
Coconut powder / Milk – 50 g powder or 3/4 cup milk (powder mixed in 1 cup water until dissolved)
Coriander powder – 3/4 tsp
Cumin powder – 1/4 tsp
Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
Coriander leaves for garnish
1. To the deshelled prawns sprinkle salt and set aside.
2. Heat a large deep container with ghee or oil on medium heat. Add onions. Fry until translucent or lightly brown. Add ginger-garlic paste. Stir fry for a couple of seconds.
3. Add green chili and potatoes. Stir fry for a minute. Add tomatoes, 1/4 tsp salt, mix and cover. Let the tomatoes get mushy, stir frequently so it doesn’t get burnt.
4. Next, add chicken powder, fish powder. Mix well and stir fry for a minute.
5. Pour coconut milk, 2 cups of water and salt. Mix. Add coriander, cumin and turmeric powder.
6. Cover and cook till it boils. Check if potatoes are cooked by piercing a fork. Check salt. If necessary add more salt.
7. Add prawns. Mix and cook until it boils. Switch off the heat. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.