The easy way I cook my mutton is using a pressure cooker. Its fast and time efficient.
Mutton curry recipe I prepared here is very basic and all you need to do is just grab a few Indian spices. I liked the idea of having a thick gravy as a dip so I prepared a paste of onions and tomatoes to increase the quantity of gravy.
More recipes on Mutton:
Preparation time: 10 minutes (includes cooking)
Cooking time: 45 minutes
Serves: 2 – 4
Appliance used: Steam pressure cooker (see notes*)
Mutton meat – 500 g, add bones if you prefer
Onions – 1 large roughly chopped + 1 small thinly sliced (separated)
Garlic cloves – 2 large
Tomatoes – 2, roughly chopped
Spice paste or Masala:
Grated Coconut or coconut milk – 1/2 cup,
Turmeric – 1 tsp
Red dry chilies – 4
Fennel seeds – 1/4 tsp
Coriander seeds – 1 tbsp
Ginger or paste – 1 1/2 inch / 1 tbsp
Black peppercorns – 5
Cinnamon stick – 2 inch long
1. In a pressure cooker, add the washed mutton pieces, finely chopped onions, a tsp salt. Cover and cook for 6 -7 whistles. Turn off heat.
The meat needs to be soft, tender and not chewy.
2. In the meantime, make a fine paste of the following:
Using a medium jar make a paste of onions with garlic and tomatoes. Blend them separately and transfer them into separate bowls.
Make the spice paste using the same blender by adding all the ingredients such as coconut, turmeric, fennel seeds,red chilies, coriander seeds, peppercorns, cinnamon stick and ginger paste.
Set it aside. Now all you have to do is start cooking while all the prep work is done.
3. Heat a deep wide container with 2 tbsp ghee. Add onion paste and fry for 2 minutes until the raw smell goes away.
Then, add the spice paste. Fry for 2-3 minutes and then mix reserved 1/4 cup water from the spice jar.
Do not add too much water, you can adjust the consistency later after adding the mutton.
4. Pour the tomato puree with salt. Cook and simmer till it boils, check for salt.
5. Once it has come to a boil add the mutton pieces along with its juices and left over mixture. Mix and adjust the consistency of thickness as required by adding water now if necessary.
Cook for another 5-10 minutes on medium heat for the mutton to soak in the flavor of spices. Check salt. Turn off heat.
Serve it with plain bread or rice. You can accompany it with greens.
* Pressure cooker I use for the last 3 years with specification:
Designed for both induction & gas stove cooking
Material: Hard anodised Aluminium
The link above is just for reference on its specifications and looks.Previously, I have used a mini pressure cooker similar to this one and have never had problems with it. Make sure you do not use it on very high heat without oil.