Baigan (eggplant/aubergine/brinjal) Barta is named in Hindi language is Punjabi origin. In this recipe I have baked the aubergines to get a soft, tender pulp. They are peeled and mashed which is then mixed with onions and very few basic Indian spices. Traditionaly served with Indian Roti (bread).
Another fantastic way to use roasted Aubergines is preparing a Mediterranean dip called Baba Ganoush served with Middle Eastern flatbread. I have put up this recipe on my Facebook page if it interests you.
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes + grilling
Egg plant or Aubergine – 500 g, usually 2 (*see notes)
Olive oil – 1 tbsp
Garlic cloves – 5, finely chopped
Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
Onions – 1 large, chopped
Tomato – 1 large, chopped
Red chilli powder – 1 tsp
Coriander powder – 2 tbsp
Cumin powder – 1 tsp
Garam masala powder – 1/2 tbsp
Coriander leaves for garnish, small bunch
Salt as required
1. Preheat the oven at 200 degrees Celsius. Poke the aubergines (it wouldn’t make much of a difference without poking) with a fork all over and place them driectly on a low oven rack.
Roast it in convection mode for 35 to 50 minutes turning them frequently until they turn wrinkled and soft.
2. Use tongs to remove them from the oven. If you have the time let them cool completely. Peel, discard the skin and mash the flesh with a large spoon or you can cut them in half to scoop out the flesh.
3. Meantime, prepare the rest of the ingredients.
4. Heat a deep-bottomed medium container with olive oil or ghee. Add cumin seeds, fry them for a minute. Then add onions and garlic. Fry until the onions turn translucent.
5. Add chopped tomatoes along with the rest of the spice powders such as red chili, cumin and garam masala powders. Mix and cook with some salt until soft.
6. Add Aubergine mash and cook for 7 -10 minutes on medium-low heat. Add more salt if needed. Garnish with coriander leaves.
Serve them with french loaf, chapathi, roti of your liking. It is quiet filling as I had mine with Indian chapathis and Beef Cutlet. See notes on how you can make use of roasted aubergines other ways.
* Baking time for aubergines sometimes depends on the size of the eggplant.
*Peeled and roasted eggplant can be stored in airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days. They also taste great for dips by drizzling some olive oil, salt, pepper and some coriander powder.
*One could also grill the eggplant on fire directly until the skin blackens or chars and the flesh softens which is also another best way to roast it.