Sometimes you get lazy and want to just relax. Times when you want to minimize kitchen time but still have a delicious dinner.
I loved this easy recipe of melted cheese mixed with pasta served with chicken ghee roast. Chicken Ghee Roast is a mouthwatering, spicy and highly aromatic recipe famous in South-Indian cuisine. I got a pack of chicken ghee roast powder when I visited India and it comes in handy when my taste buds feel the desperation of eating something fried.
It is a delicious dinner for two. A quick, easy recipe when you want something spicy to go with pasta. It’s a huge hit with my husband especially for a first try, win-win!
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
Spiral pasta – 1 cup (180 g), can use other variety of pasta
Butter – 3 tbsp
Cheddar cheese slices – 3 or more depending on the how cheesy you want
Mustard Sauce – 1 tsp
Dried herbs – 1 tsp
Tomato ketchup as required for pasta (optional based on taste)
Chicken Thighs – 2 large, cut into small pieces
Ghee – 3 tbsp
For Chicken Marinade:
+ Combine the following:
Yogurt – 2 tbsp
Salt – 1 tsp
Turmeric – 1/2 tsp
Ginger-Garlic paste – 2 tsp
+ Marinate the chicken pieces with the marinade. Place it in a zip-lock plastic bag for 4 hours or overnight.
For the Chicken Ghee roast paste (skip this step if you have a Ghee roast powder and follow the instructions on the pack)
+ Combine the following:
Chili powder/red chili paste – 2 tbsp (based on the spice level)
Cumin powder/jeera – 1 tsp
Garlic powder/paste – 1 tbsp
Natural spices / Mixed spices – 1 tsp
Salt -1/2 tsp
1. Fill a container with 3 cups of water, 1 tsp salt and 1 tbsp olive oil, get water to boil. Add pasta (In the meantime prepare for Ghee roast). Cook [pasta until done. Using a strainer, drain the pasta. Set it aside in a plate.
To check if it is done, taste and see for non-sticky soft texture.
2. Heat 3 tbsp butter in the same container on low heat. Add the pieces of cheese, mustard sauce and herbs. Mix until the cheese melts.
3. Toss in the pasta and mix well (prepare this one low heat without burning).
Chicken Ghee Roast
1. Heat a frying pan with 2 tbsp of ghee. Add the paste of ghee roast. Fry for a 2-3 minutes until the spices blend well.
2. Add chicken pieces. Fry one one side for a minute or two. Flip the side and coat the other sides with the spices.
3. Cover and cook on medium heat for 10 minutes.
Remove the lid and flip the sides every few minutes without the lid until the sides are nicely coated with the spices for 5-7 more minutes.
Cheese pasta with fiery chicken ghee roast is ready. If you want your pasta fiery hot mix the ghee roast spice paste.